Sunday, January 11, 2009

RSV

So we thought our woes with Katherine were solved with the last diagnosis of asthma until she started running a temperature of 102 for 5 days straight!!! Since it was the beginning of a new month and we could finally see our new pediatrician, we took her into see Dr. Ho.

His assistant, who I thought was wonderful, had Katherine tested and the results confirmed before the doctor even got to us. It was positive RSV. He had us do blood work and x-rays and before we left said that he would admit her into the hospital except for the fact that the ER was full of babies waiting for beds, there was no room in the inn!! Oh, and a double ear infection, hence the fever of 102.

So we went home with different breathing treatments for her and now, two weeks later, she is doing well once again.

I am not sure if she has asthma or not, time will tell with that, but my theory (Corinne, tell me if I am totally off) is that she had a mild case of RSV all along. It was the asthma treatments that lowered her immune system to allow the RSV to come out in full force in order to finally be detected by a doctor. For the record, I had asked our previous doctor and the doctor at Urgent Care both to test her for RSV and they both said 'NO' and proceeded to tell me what RSV is and that my child didn't have it. WHATEVER, what could it hurt to just TEST HER?!?!?!

Anyway, that is my venting. I am going to post about something fun now.

(Corinne is Renae's totally awesome friend who diagnosed Kate with the asthma. She made me feel like someone was actually starting to listen to me, MY CHILD IS SICK!!!) Thank you Corinne!!!

4 comments:

Family Estill Espinoza said...

I am so releaved to hear that she is doing better. I cant wait to see her. Hopefully only four months more.
Love you tons.
hollie

Phill, Allie, and kids said...

Oh wow- sometimes Dr.'s don't deserve to be a doctor and especially don't deserve the money that they make. Good thing there are some good ones out there though. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Unknown said...

Uggg! RSV! My son had it when he was 28 days old. He almost died, that was a year ago. But it took three tests for the RSV to show up. Weird. I'm glad your little princess is doing better.
Lisa Page Underwood

The Chris Jackson's said...

So scary! I am glad that all is better.

Divider

Divider